Tuesday, April 13, 2010

WHAT???

Dear all,

If you are reading this now it is likely that you are here looking for more info about the two-year cycling sanction that USADA sought against me. Well, I am sad to say, that it is true. I am still in a state of shock after hearing about the decision today. And mind you, I wasn’t called by USADA or the Arbitrator and given the news before it was posted and made public. No, a friend of mine in Sacramento sent me a message saying that he had read it online in Velonews. I would say that of all the ways to find out such bad news, that was maybe the worst.

For the last several months I have been privately dealing with the positive drug test that I gave at the end of last year. The test result was due to my use of an over the counter product that I thought was safe called Hyperdrive 3.0. Regrettably, the product contained a compound called Methyl Synephrine, which is an optical isomer of Oxilofrine, which is a banned substance. Neither compound was listed on the ingredients label of Hyperdrive 3.0 that I researched. I did not knowingly ingest the banned substance, and the arbitrator that heard the case commented in his report that he believed me.

Needless to say, I am feeling pretty rocked right now. I thought that once I explained everything that the arbitrator would clearly understand that I did not intend to take the banned substance, I didn’t even know it was in there! But, the USADA rules are pretty biased against those that give + tests. For example, here is one section of the rule book:

Riders must refrain from using any substance, foodstuff, food supplement or drink of which they do not know the composition. It must be emphasized that the composition indicated on a product is not always complete. The product may contain prohibited substances not listed in the composition.


So, that’s about that. There isn’t much I can do. Clearly, I didn’t know the composition of all of the food that I was eating and the products that I was using. Mostly because, not all of the ingredients were listed on the label. Like I said, I’m not sure what more I can do.

Best wishes,
F

Oh, and here is the product to beware. Note, the label is now different than what you see here (click to enlarge):

3 comments:

Ripsanspich said...

Flavia, I am very sorry to read the news. All my best to you.

lauren said...

flavia!

i'm so sorry to hear about it. i'm sure you're dealing with a lot of emotions right now.

thinking good thoughts. and wishing you good luck in all of this.

Salma said...

Flavia..I'm so sorry! I just saw the article on cyclingnews and was shocked! Don't let it get you down. Is there anyway you can appeal it?? I know it's hard but try to stay positive...